Hey gang, it’s been quiet. I know my blog has “sports” in the title, but it seems like it’s been mostly a food and drink blog, with funny videos posted every once in a while. I’m totally OK with that, and I don’t have any particular “direction” I want to take this thing. It’s just a stupid tumblr, after all. But I have some thoughts on SPROTS and I will thusly share them with you.
- Baseball season is starting! Giants predictions: Freddy Sanchez is forced to retire because of his shoulder injury…MadBum is a top 3 vote-getter for the Cy Young…Buster Posey? Still ain’t havin’ it.
- March Madness, while indubitably exciting, is very dumb, and I’m a dumb person for filling out a bracket every year. HOWEVER, somehow Stephen is worse than me at filling out brackets, and has been for the past couple years. Stephen’s being bad at bracketeering (thank you for the awful words you make up, ESPN assholes) equals free beer for me, so I will continue to make brackets even when we both regress back to the mean and I start owing him beers. Oh well.
- That said, Anthony Davis’ unibrow is UNSTOPPABLE. He’s like Sam the Eagle but even more intimidating. UK for the championship, which will be surely be vacated due to recruiting violations in, oh, five years when Calipari leaves for the NBA.
- Tanking is bad. It’s a huge flaw in sports, especially basketball, that teams would be rewarded simply for lacking not just talent but, often, effort. That said, I hope the Warriors lose every game for the rest of season and keep their first round pick. I can’t wait for them to pick another shoot-first no-defense point guard, and probably pick them right before a future All-Star wing/big man. Warriors basketball! Still terrible!
- Slowly starting to get excited for the Euros this summer. Spain will surely be the favorite, but as long as Holland’s studs (RvP, Sneijder, Robben) can stay healthy, they’ll be a hell of a dangerous team. It feels good to not have to always root for the USMNT and have an real soccer team that I can call my own.
- Hey, at least this year we probably won’t have to worry about the Sharks getting knocked out in the conference finals again…*bangs head on desk repeatedly*
If you dig sports, at all, I can’t recommend the SBNation blog network enough, specifically mccoveychronicles.com, everydayshouldbesaturday.com, the SBNation YouTube channel, and anything written by Jon Bois, Bomani Jones, Tom Ziller, Spencer Hall and the countless other great writers featured there. Also, check out The Classical (with its own great stable of writers) for essays and long reads about some less mainstream sports topics.
Thanks for reading all this dumb sports stuff. Here’s a GIF of Christiano Ronaldo amazed by his teammate’s penis.